The American Express Shop Small® initiative is pretty rad and definitely worthy of your support. But, today I want to showcase a specific kind of small business.
I first heard the term “solopreneur” from my friend Lou Mongello, and instantly began using it when people ask me what I do for a living. Both my husband and I run businesses pretty much singlehandedly. It is both an exhilarating and exhausting way to provide for our family.
My fellow solopreners are doing some amazing work in our world today. They see the problems, big and small, that we all struggle with, and then work their tails off to bring us solutions.
Why not support these hardworking folks by doing some of your Christmas shopping with them? Give a gift certificate to your favorite local mom and pop restaurant. How about the album of your favorite indie musician, or a painting from a local artist?
Or, you could check a few people off your list with some of these awesome ideas. I pulled together five unique gift ideas from a few of my favorite small businesses and artists. (Don’t miss the giveaway at the end!)
1. Music from Springdale Quartet: We are a musical family. We spend much of our day singing and listening to music. I want my kids to have a very diverse and sophisticated musical palate, so we don’t limit them to traditional kids music. But I am also cautious about exposing them to more adult lyrics. Our entire family loves the music of Springdale Quartet. Their unique sound has roots in the jazz and blues traditions, but Chase, Ben, Greg and Jordan also mix in heavy organ, upbeat funk, and progressive rock. Pick up one of their albums for the music lovers on your list!
2. Foot soaks from Atma Prema Botanicals: Last spring I enjoyed my first foot soak at a tea house with a couple of girlfriends. It was wonderful! I’m so excited that the “Love My Toes” line of foot soaks from Atma Prema Botanicals makes it possible to get that luxurious treatment at home! All of the soaks are handmade by Elizabeth, an amazing solopreneur. Fill the stocking of someone you love with a foot soak! (Keep reading for a giveaway of five foot soaks!)
3. Handmade jewelry from Create Beauty Daily: I have been thinking lately about the power of wearing words. It is such a lovely way to remember a loved one, intention or affirmation. Pick out one of Cameron’s beautiful designs for someone on your list who could use a steady dose of encouragement.
4. Something beautiful from LoveFeast Shop: I love walking through local boutiques whose owners find the most amazing pieces. But with two young kids in tow, I don’t frequent many of those shops these days. Thankfully, Chris Ann & Kristin created an online source for beauty. These two ladies have an amazing eye, and I’m sure you’ll find something gorgeous and unique for someone special on your list in their shop.
5. Purpee the Purple Dragon Books: Each year several books find their way under our tree. This year, my kids will be getting the two Purpee the Purple Dragon books. I can’t wait to tell them that these books were written and published by a dad and his eight-year-old daughter. Plus, for every two books sold, Anthony and Brianna donate one book to a hospital somewhere in the world. So, order a few today!
Of course, this solopreneur happens to think a Stay At Home Yoga gift certificate makes an awesome present, too.
Ok, are you up for a fun (and relaxing) giveaway? I’m going to send one of you a set of FIVE of the “Love My Toes” foot soaks. To enter the giveaway, follow the directions in the Rafflecopter widget below.
NOTE: I was NOT paid or perked by any of these companies and these are NOT affiliate links. Additionally, I am personally sponsoring this giveaway as a way to say thanks to you for hanging out in this corner of the Internet.